Friday, June 27, 2008

They make the funny......



This is a picture of a restaurant banner that I took when I was in Kenya in December last year! My friend and I thought it was Supa funny! Now I'm sure you're wondering why the heck we thought it was funny... See in one of the many South African languages - Kuku means cake. It's also used to refer to - erm - the female genitalia! Okay, I'm really not a crude kinda person... But we thought it was so funny how things can be misconstrued just because of a language and/or cultural difference!

Apparently 'Mfalme' means King. So Imagine our shock when we came across this sign... Even funnier was how we both screamed at the same time - as if on cue! We were literally rolling on the floor while bewildered Kenyans stared at us liked we were two crazed banshees! I guess that means if they ever think of having a branch in South Africa they'd have to change the name... Teeheehee...

Happy Friday!

OUT!

3 comments:

AQUILOGY said...

This post sorta reminded me of that infamous song by Athur, 'Sika le kheke' Do you remember how anal people became when they heard the song?
I don't think Kuku mfelame will be making any trip down south

Supanova said...

LMAO... I actually started liking that song after people went nuts over how crude it was! LOL... I also just though of that one ad... I think it was a Flour ad or something... There's a chic who's like 'Kuku yaka, iyavaya!' Someone just told me it got banned because of that! Now that's some funny *ish rite thuur! Eish, people can be sooo petty!

AQUILOGY said...

There's a chic who's like 'Kuku yaka, iyavaya!'

What's funny is the fact that she's holding a chocolate cake as she's saying that, but people insisted that she was talking about the other 'Kuku'.lol.