Wednesday, June 4, 2008

When i grow up...


Remember as a kid people often asked what you wanted to be when you grew up? Well, my answer was always 'I wanna be an air-hostess' (stewardess to some). That was until some dude at one of those career expo thingumies told me I was too short. That put an end to my dream (...and now I can't help but scowl when I see today's stewardesses, some of whom are seriously shorter than me!) So then I decided I was going to be a fire-fighter! Then I was going to become a singer. And then a radio presenter. Then an author. My mother was not impressed! So much so that she got my uncle to sit me down and 'talk some sense into me'! See, my mother was determined that I'd become an accountant like she was. But me and numbers are like Chuck Norris and Ninjas! So she had to let go of that dream and watch her only child aspire to be a confused, penniless loser! LOL! (I must commend my mom though! I didn't turn into the brilliant accountant she would have loved me to be. But she's been so supportive of every one of my 'aspirations'. I recorded a demo CD last year. Guess who orchestrated that! Mother dearest! She's such a doll!)

Eventually I decided I was going to be a TV presenter. But of course, being the clever little cookie that I was, I didn't want to be one of those lame presenters who get spoon-fed every bit of information and all they do is regurgitate it! So I decided to have Behind-the-scenes knowledge first. Off I went to Video School. A few weeks after I started, I decided that I was born to be a Camera-woman! LOL. Then I decided I'd be a Producer and Scriptwriter. Then I figured I may as well be a music video Director. I was a bit confused after a while, then I thought hey, why not become all of the above! One thing I knew was I never, ever wanted to be was become an editor! Funny thing that, seeing as in my last year of 'trainee producer/scriptwriter/director/semi-camerawoman' time, I ended up spending more time in the edit suite than elsewhere! Needless to say my passion for presenting kinda waned... and the behind-the-scenes took over!

However, today I find myself at a crossroads. Well, not really at a cross roads. I just seem to have shelved all my dreams and aspirations, and I've settled for what's...convenient! See, somewhere along the line - just after Video School - I started working on a script for a sitcom and on an idea for a screenplay. Then it all kinda fizzled. Last night I watched Alfie - you know the movie where Jude Law is a womaniser! Wow! I cannot remember when last a movie moved me in such a way! Don't get me wrong. I've seen some brilliant movies! Concept-wise, scripting-wise, the cinematography, I've definitely seen the best of the best! But somehow, watching Alfie re-kindled my passion for filmmaking. I've decided to start working on my screenplay again. And my sitcom! Maybe I'll even start my own production company! I know it could take an eternity for me to get where I want to be! But I think I've let go of too many of my dreams - singing, tv and radio presenting, directing music videos!

So today is the end of life as I know it! Today I start my journey to the person I want to be!
OUT!

3 comments:

AQUILOGY said...

Good luck on your future endeavors!! follow your passion and everything will fall into place.

The Divine Miss M said...

I want to have my own Production Company one day too. It is a dream of mine. :)

I also was one of those kids who couldn't make up their mind - sometimes I still can't! But hey I'm enjoying the ride and isn't that the best part?

Supanova said...

@ Aquilogy - Fanx mann! Growing up is so darn difficult hey!!!!!

@ Miss M - You too? Supa cool! It sure would beat working for someone hey! Lol. I keep feeling like I'm too old to still be changing my mind every 3 months! lol. But you're right. It's about enjoying the ride. I think I kinda stopped enjoying it. Fanx for reminding me!