Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Cooking lessons a la Jamie Oliver

OMG... I think I may have just started digging myself a grave! I'm a pretty talented person (even if I do say so myself!) but there are just some things I was not born to do! Like cooking! I am an absolutely lousy cook! Although I feel I must mention that I do make a mean bacon and egg sarmie :)! However, when it comes to proper culinary skills, I am seriously lacking in that department. Now usually, this would not be a problem. However, I idiotically invited man-friend for supper! Okay, so we've only been together for about 3 months and I have mentioned that my cooking sucks, big time. I'm allowed to say my cooking sucks. He is not!!! So the other day I had a friend coming over for lunch and I mentioned this to him! So he says 'I hope this friend knows what they're getting themselves into!' WHAT?????????? Okay, it's totally fine when I say it. It's my cooking and I'm allowed to diss myself! Jeez... do guys not get that???? I can say my butt is big....you, man-friend, cannot! I can talk about how I feel my breasts are too small, you cannot! I can saying my cooking is crap. You CANNOT!

So I went and did it! I invited him over for supper this Friday. And I have to do the cooking. So I'm thinking I need cooking lessons ASAP! How that's gonna happen is a mystery to me! And I'm sure it would be wise to pre-taste the food before the dreaded dinner date, but how am I going to pull that off? Maybe I should get that Jamie Oliver cookbook that I was eyeing the other day! Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....... I'm so tempted to buy food from Woolies and pretend I made it, but he's like a freaking blood-hound when he's with me! He can detect a lie (or rather a slight twistation of the truth) from a mile away! So the Woolies idea is a no-no! I guess I'll have to look up some quick and easy recipe on the net and hope that it turns out okay! Shit, shit, shit! I've really gone and done it now! What if it turns out as crappy as he thinks it will? OMG - I'm sure I shall be back on the single shelf by Saturday morning! Woe is me!!!!! So if there's a quick, easy, idiot proof recipe out there - please, please, please save my ass from singleness! OUT!

2 comments:

The Divine Miss M said...

Jamie Oliver book is pretty good, his receipes are usually so fool proof that you can't really mess up on them!

Or Ina Parman, she has some good ones too!

Good luck ;)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Miss M... Jamie Oliver is the way to go. Fingers crossed for you. I don't cook much myself so I understand your predicament. Haha...